Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thankful for groceries!

As some of you already know, I have started clipping coupons to help with the cost of groceries for my family. Before you get the wrong impression, I am not one of those people who can go to the store and get $1000 worth of groceries for $10. However, I have been able to get some very good deals, and also work up a stockpile of a few things such as Macaroni and Cheese, pasta, cereal, toothpaste, Ziploc bags, and laundry detergent.

I get five Sunday papers and spend a couple of hours each week browsing through them and seeing which coupons I will actually use. I also have a binder. I was hesitant to buy one at first because it seems like there is somewhat of a stigma associated with "The Binder" that I wanted to stay away from. Now I could care less if anyone sees me with the binder, because you know what? I am saving money!

I also use an app on my iPhone called Ibotta. It's pretty cool because you just pick which products you are going to buy from the ones offered and they pay you a cash amount depending on the product. For instance, today I bought two different types of Capri Sun drinks for about $2 each. Ibotta paid me $1 for each box. Then I just collect the money and deposit it into my Paypal account. THEN I use my Paypal account to buy fancy homemade soap that is my new splurge item!

Today at the store I got free Chapstick, $0.18 bags of cough drops, and $0.28 jars of peanut butter. While I still spent over $100 dollars, I saved at least $30-40 on the stuff I bought so I am one happy momma!

Even though it is sometimes a lot of work and it takes a big chunk out of my day, I am so thankful that I am able to go to the grocery store and buy the things we need. I know I am blessed because of that and I don't take it for granted at all!

P.S. If you are super inspired and want to start using Ibotta, I get $1 for each person I refer so click on the link on my Facebook page!

1 comment:

  1. I literally laughed out loud when I read the part about the Binder!

    ReplyDelete